Smart Battery® FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How safe are Lithium Ion Smart Batteries?
Smart Battery® LiFePo4 batteries are considered to be safe, non-flammable and non-hazardous by international and federally regulated standards.
What can I use a Lithium Ion Smart Battery® for?
Smart Batteries are commonly used for Marine, RV and Golf Cart applications. You can use a lithium Smart Battery® for any application that would normally use a single or multiple Lead Acid, GEL or AGM batteries.
How do I change my batteries to Lithium?
After you take out your old batteries, place our batteries in the same way. You may use the same cables to reconnect into the Smart Battery®.
How do I charge a Lithium battery?
Smart Battery® lithium ion technology uses the latest and most advanced built-in battery protection system to prevent damage to the battery. You may utilize a standard charger for our products, although in some cases a lithium charger may be required to charge the batteries.
- Alternator: Most alternators will sufficiently charge Smart Battery® lithium ion technology
- Inverter: Most inverters have a way to set or program the charging voltage. Lithium ion batteries need to be charged as close to 14.4v - 14.6v as possible to get a full charge.
- Standard charger: A standard battery charger will charge Smart Battery® lithium ion technology due to our advanced built in Battery Management System.
- Lithium Charger: Purchase a Smart Charger from Smart Battery® specifically designed to charge our lithium ion batteries up to 14.6V.
How long do they last?
Smart Battery® advanced lithium technology will provide you with 2000 complete charge and discharge cycles at 80% DOD. After 2000 cycles, you will still have over 80% of usable energy left.
Example: One 12v 100ah battery, after being discharged 80% for 2000 cycles, is now a 12v 80ah battery.
So what does that mean in terms of years?
If you discharge 80% of the Smart Battery® and then recharge it every day for 6 years, you will still have 80% of usable battery power left. This is a huge increase in lifespan compared to a typical AGM or Lead Acid battery rated at 300 cycles.
How will I know how many batteries I need?
Please send us a quick inquiry and let us know how many batteries you need to replace. A customer support representative will suggest a more efficient lithium battery bank for your application. Lithium is 70% lighter while delivering the same amount of power and capacity as an AGM battery bank, which is 70% heavier and requires 70% more space.
What is the built-in battery protection system and how does it work?
Our internal battery protection system is a high-tech innovative design made to protect our lithium core. It will protect against:
- Internal Features:
- Low Voltage Protection Switch - Automatically disconnects at 8V
- Over Voltage Protection Switch - Automatically disconnects at 15.8V
- Short Circuit Protection Switch - Automatically disconnects
- Reverse Polarity Protection Switch - Automatically disconnects
- Internal cell balancing - Automatically balances cells
- Charge Balancing - Independant balancing for multiple batteries connected in parallel or in series.
Along with great customer service, friendly staff and reliable on time solutions, Smart Battery® customer technical support system is unmatched. We are here from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. 7 days a week with live customer support staff ready to answer your questions and suggest high-quality reliable products for your application. Send us an email with your questions to Sales@smartbattery.com and a Smart Battery® customer support representative will get back to you the same business day. Most questions can be answered promptly through our online quick inquiry forms located throughout the site, or you can call us toll free at 1-855-465-4844.
In case we missed something...
Send us a email with your questions and we will respond the same business day.